Okay, so I suppose this isn’t TECHNICALLY a breakfast recipe, but don’t let that stop you! I had some beautiful wild salmon fillets in the fridge that needed using up and there was nothing that was going to stop me having that beautiful fish for breakfast!
This recipe also lends itself wonderfully to tinned salmon. If you have to make a choice between fresh farmed salmon and responsibly sourced wild tinned salmon, I would highly encourage you to go for the tinned! I know I’ve encouraged farmed fish before where wild fish stocks are low or the fish is threatened, but even I have to admit there is no comparison between the flavours and if you can find responsibly and sensitively sourced wild fish, there is no reason not to use that.
If using fresh salmon in this recipe, you need to cook the salmon and let it cool. If using tinned, just drain the fish before using.
Salmon Fishcakes and Cucumber Yogurt
Time: 15 minutes
Calories: 175 calories per cake with yogurt
You will need:
For the cakes:
- 2 tins salmon OR 2 large fillets of fresh salmon
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon Kewpie mayo (or regular mayonnaise with a drop of vinegar)
- 1 tsp lemon juice or 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 3/4 C breadcrumbs (I used brown bread)
- 1/2 tsp dill
- 1/2 tsp mint
- salt and pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs
For the Cucumber Yogurt
- 4 Tbsp natural yogurt (non-Greek, as Greek would be too thick)
- pinch of dill, parsley, mint, chives and ginger (optional)
- finely chopped cucumber
- De-seed the cucumber and if desired, peel. Chop it very finely.
- Mix the cucumber, yogurt and spices together. For a bit of a twist add the barest pinch of ginger. Set aside.
- Flake the fish into a bowl and add the egg, mayonnaise, lemon, spices and season.
- Mix in 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs and stir together. If the mixture is too wet add the rest of the breadcrumbs. The mixture should be moist but hold together when formed into patties.
- Divide the mixture into 4 parts and gently form into a patty. Press each patty into a shallow dish of Panko breadcrumbs, and coat the patty. Repeat for all four.
- In a wide, shallow pan, warm chilli oil until shimmering. Carefully lay each cake into the pan and fry until the breadcrumbs have coloured and turned crispy. Flip and fry on the other side until crispy, then lay on a paper towel for a few seconds before plating.
- Dribble the Cucumber Yogurt over the top of the cakes and garnish with lemon zest.
This actually made a great breakfast, but it could easily be turned into a tasty lunch with a rocket salad on the side or with some tasty steamed vegetables a satisfying dinner!